We drove to Harmony, Pennsylvania, known today as Oakland, where The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, has a beautiful chapel that houses a Visitor’s Center. It is new, it wasn’t here the last time we were here. Just before you enter the Visitor’s Center there are these two statues representing two of the great events that happened in this area, the Restoration of the Aaronic & Melchizedek Priesthood.AARONIC PRIESTHOOD; On May 15, 1829, the Prophet Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery went into the woods not far from where the Visitor’s Center now is, to pray about the importance of baptism. In answer to their prayer, John the Baptist appeared to them, conferring the Aaronic Priesthood on them and commanding them to baptize each other. They went down to the Susquehanna River and there Joseph baptized Oliver and Joseph laid his hands on the head of Oliver and ordained him to the Aaronic Priesthood and then Oliver did the same to Joseph.
MELCHIZEDEK PRIESTHOOD; We don’t know when the Melchizedek Priesthood was restored, but it was shortly after the restoration of the Aaronic Priesthood.